As an assistant, you may be called upon to help your boss create presentations in PowerPoint. Whether it’s for a client pitch, a company-wide meeting, or a conference, a well-designed presentation can make a big impact. Here are some tips to help you create amazing presentations quickly and efficiently:
- Start with a template: Instead of starting from scratch, consider using a template to save time and ensure that your presentations have a consistent look and feel. PowerPoint has a variety of built-in templates to choose from, or you can create your own by customising a blank presentation and then saving it as a template.
- Use icons and images: Visual elements can make your presentations more engaging and memorable. PowerPoint has a wide selection of icons and images that you can use to liven up your slides. You can find these under the “Illustrations” tab in the ribbon.
- Use Slide Masters: If you need to apply the same formatting to multiple slides, consider using Slide Masters. Slide Masters allow you to create a “design template” for your slides so that any changes you make in the Slide Master will be reflected on all the other slides that use that master.
- Within the Slide Master, you can create your own Custom Layouts to do the job you need them to do. For example, if you need a slide with three picture placeholders, create a Slide Layout with three picture placeholders. This layout will have the same design traits as the rest of the Slide Master and the layout you desire.
- Use the “Rehearse Timings” feature: The “Rehearse Timings” feature in PowerPoint allows you to practice your presentation and set the timing for each slide. This can be helpful if you need to ensure that your presentation stays within a certain time frame, or if you want to ensure that your transitions between slides are smooth and seamless.
See how Rachel an assistant at an advertising agency puts these tips into action.
As an assistant at an advertising agency, Rachel often helps her boss create presentations for client pitches. One of the keys to her success is using templates and slide layouts to create a consistent look and feel for the presentations. Rachel starts by selecting a template that reflects the client’s brand and style and then she uses slide layouts to ensure that each slide has a consistent structure.
Rachel also makes use of PowerPoint’s built-in icons and images to liven up the slides and make them more engaging. She uses the “Rehearse Timings” feature to practice the presentation and set the timing for each slide, which helps ensure that the presentation stays on track and flows smoothly.
With these tips and techniques, Rachel is able to create amazing presentations quickly and efficiently, which has helped her boss win new clients and stand out in a competitive market.
I hope these tips and case study help you create amazing presentations in PowerPoint! Remember, the key is to find the tools and techniques that work best for you and your workflow and to be consistent in using them. With a little bit of practice and discipline, you can create professional, engaging presentations that make a big impact.
Ready to make a big impact with your presentations? Take a look at our PowerPoint Training here