Templates help speed up work. A template will hold formatting such as Styles and Margins plus any standard text that is needed. Templates can be created for many purposes, a standard letter, a letter of engagement, anything that will save you time if you have it as a starting point. As a busy VA you likely work with several clients.
When you start a new blank document, you are using the Normal Template. Note that the font, alignment, margins and styles are all set.
If you need headed paper to include your logo, house styles and some standard text then a template is what you need.
Start a new document based on a template
Note that you are looking at Featured templates. Here Microsoft offers you a selection of templates to choose from
Click Personal and you will see any templates that you have created and saved yourself.
Choose the document template you want to use, and the document will open.
Create a template from scratch
Set up the document, adjust the margins add any standard text, add Headers and Footers etc.
- Click File and then Save As
- Click Browse
- Name the template and change the document type to Word Template
- The save location will change to Custom Office Templates – a folder that Word created in your Documents Folder
- Click Save
Modify a template
You saved the template and then realise that you need to change something. You must open the actual template from the folder you saved it to and make changes and then save. If you just start a new document based on the template, you will not be changing the template, just the copy.
- Navigate to the Custom Office Templates folder
- Right Click on the template you wish to amend
- Choose Open
- The Template will open – you will see its name at the top of the document not just Doc 3
- Make the changes and then click Save
- Once you have saved the changed, close the template to avoid making any further changes to it.
Now that you can see how easy it is to create a template and how much time it will save you when creating your standard documents, you can learn how to make it even more time saving by changing the Styles.
Create templates for each client you have with their own branded style gallery! Huge Time Saver- Huge!
To learn how to apply, modify and create styles take my Work Smarter with Style Course – there is a Windows Version and a Mac Version.
Go to Courses
This code applies to any of my Word Courses. Visit the course page to see what is available.
Let me know how you get on and how much time this is going to save you! Leave a comment below.